Mary Berry, a true culinary icon, has been delighting our taste buds for generations with her simple yet scrumptious recipes. Today, we’re bringing you a Mary Berry-inspired classic: a potato salad that combines the comforting flavors of new potatoes, zesty Dijon mustard, and the creaminess of mayonnaise. This salad is a crowd-pleaser, perfect for picnics, barbecues, or as a delightful side dish for any occasion.
Mary Berry’s approach to cooking has always been about creating dishes that are not only delicious but also easy to prepare. In her signature style, this potato salad is straightforward and quick, making it an ideal choice for both busy weeknights and special gatherings.
With the combination of warm, tender new potatoes, a tangy mustard dressing, and the crisp freshness of radishes and spring onions, this potato salad has all the hallmarks of Mary Berry’s culinary excellence. It’s a dish that encapsulates the essence of her cooking philosophy, emphasizing flavour and simplicity. So, let’s dive into this Mary Berry-inspired potato salad recipe and savor the taste of home-cooked goodness.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 500g/1lb 2oz baby new potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 150g/5½oz radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the Oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas 4. Line a baking tray with kitchen foil.
- Cook the Potatoes: Place the baby new potatoes in a pan of salted water and bring it to a boil. Let them cook for about 15 minutes or until they are tender. Drain the potatoes and then slice each one into quarters.
- Prepare the Dressing: In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, Dijon mustard, caster sugar, and white wine vinegar to create a zesty dressing.
- Toss the Potatoes: While the potatoes are still warm, add them to the dressing in the large bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Gently stir to ensure the potatoes are well coated with the dressing. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Add the Veggies: To the cooled potato mixture, add the mayonnaise, thinly sliced spring onions, radishes, and finely chopped celery. Mix everything together thoroughly. Be sure to check the seasoning, and adjust with salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish and Serve: Stir in half of the finely chopped flat-leaf parsley and reserve the rest for garnishing. Spoon the potato salad onto a large platter and sprinkle it with the remaining parsley.
- Tip 1: The secret to the rich flavor of this salad is to add the potato slices to the dressing while they’re still warm. This allows the flavors to soak into the potatoes, just as Mary Berry would recommend.
This potato salad is inspired by the culinary wisdom of the esteemed Mary Berry. It’s a classic recipe that’s perfect for picnics, barbecues, or a delightful side dish for any occasion. Enjoy the zingy and creamy flavors that Mary Berry herself would approve of.