Welcome to another delightful recipe inspired by the legendary Mary Berry. Today, we’re diving into the world of traditional British baking with Yorkshire Curd Tarts recipe. These sweet and creamy tarts feature a luscious curd filling encased in a buttery shortcrust pastry. With a hint of nutmeg and a burst of citrus from the lemon peel, these tarts are the perfect balance of flavors. Let’s get started on this wonderful baking adventure!
- 8 oz (225g) shortcrust pastry
- 8 oz (225g) curds
- 3 oz (85g) butter
- 2 oz (55g) white sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Grated peel of one lemon
- 2 oz (55g) currants
- Preheat your oven to a moderate temperature. If you’re unsure about the exact temperature, 180°C should work well. Prepare individual small baking tins or heat-proof saucers by lining them with the shortcrust pastry. This will create a delicious, buttery base for your Yorkshire Curd Tarts.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Set aside for later use.
- In another bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until well combined and creamy. Add the curds and the egg yolks, mixing thoroughly to create a smooth mixture.
- Stir in the grated peel, nutmeg, and currants, ensuring that they are evenly distributed throughout the filling. These ingredients will add a lovely fragrance and burst of flavor to your tarts.
- Carefully fold in the beaten egg whites into the curd mixture. This step will add a light and airy texture to your filling, making it simply irresistible.
- Spoon the curd mixture into the lined baking tins or saucers, ensuring an even distribution. Leave a small gap at the top to allow the tarts to rise as they bake.
- Place the tarts in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them to ensure they turn a lovely golden brown on top and are cooked through.
- If you can’t find ready-made curds, you can make your own by straining yogurt through a muslin cloth or using cottage cheese as a substitute.
- Feel free to customize your tarts by adding other dried fruits such as raisins or sultanas to the filling.
- Serve the Yorkshire Curd Tarts warm or at room temperature, dusted with a sprinkle of icing sugar for an elegant finishing touch.
Mary’s Yorkshire Curd Tarts are a true testament to the beauty of British baking. With their buttery pastry, creamy curd filling, and delightful flavours of nutmeg and lemon, these tarts are a crowd-pleasing treat for any occasion. Whether enjoyed as a sweet afternoon snack or served as a dessert, they will transport you to a world of indulgence.
So, don your apron, roll out that pastry, and savor the joy of baking these timeless Yorkshire Curd Tarts. With every bite, you’ll appreciate the magic that these recipes bring to our kitchens. Happy baking!