Indulge in the rich flavours of a Mary Berry’s like Quick Boiled Fruit Cake. This recipe is perfect for those who crave a delicious fruit cake without the lengthy preparation time. With a combination of condensed milk, butter, and an assortment of dried fruits, this cake is bursting with sweetness and warmth. The aromatic spices add depth to the flavours, making every bite a delightful experience.
- 397g can of condensed milk
- 150g butter
- 225g raisins
- 225g sultanas
- 175g currants
- 175g roughly chopped glacé cherries
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to fan 130°C / conventional 150°C / gas mark 2.
- Grease an 18cm round cake tin and line it with baking parchment.
- In a large, heavy-based pan, pour the condensed milk and add the butter and all the dried fruits.
- Gently heat the pan, stirring constantly, until the butter has melted.
- Let the fruit mixture simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the fruits have softened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside to cool for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the self-raising flour and spices, then mix them together to create a well in the center of the bowl.
- Add the eggs and the cooled fruit mixture into the well.
- Using a wooden spoon, combine all the ingredients together until well mixed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin, ensuring it is evenly distributed.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1¾ – 2 hours. The cake should rise well and turn golden brown.
- To check if the cake is thoroughly baked, insert a skewer into the middle. It should come out clean, indicating that the cake is cooked completely.
- Once out of the oven, let the cake cool for about 10 minutes in the tin before removing the parchment paper. Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
A Quick Boiled Fruit Cake is now ready to be enjoyed. The enticing aroma of the fruits and spices will fill your kitchen, and each slice will be a delightful treat. Whether served as an afternoon tea centrepiece or enjoyed as a comforting dessert, this moist and flavourful fruit cake is sure to satisfy your cravings. Embrace the simplicity of this recipe and savour the homemade goodness of this quick and delicious fruit cake.