Indulge in the heavenly flavours of Mary’s Salted Caramel Cheesecake, a delightful treat for salted caramel lovers. With a caramel flavoured sponge and a salted caramel fudge topping, this cake is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Follow the simple steps below to create this scrumptious dessert:
For the cake:
- 225g (8oz) baking spread, from the fridge
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 55g (2oz) light muscovado sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 x 379g tin Carnation caramel
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
For the icing:
- 250g (9oz) butter, very soft
- 250g (9oz) icing sugar
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 115g (4oz) salted caramel fudge, chopped into small pieces
Essential kit: You will need 2 × 20cm sandwich tins and an electric hand whisk.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas 4. Grease and line the base of 2 × 20cm sandwich tins with nonstick baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the baking spread, caster sugar, light muscovado sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, self-raising flour, baking powder, milk, 3 tablespoons of caramel, and salt. Whisk together for 2 minutes using an electric hand whisk until well combined.
- Spoon the cake batter into the prepared tins, dividing it evenly, and level the surfaces. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the cakes are well risen and coming away from the sides of the tins. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, place the butter and icing sugar in a large bowl. Whisk together with an electric hand whisk until pale and creamy. Add the salt and the remaining caramel from the tin, and whisk until just mixed. Be careful not to overbeat, as it could split.
- Place one cake on a cake stand and spread a third of the icing over the top. Place the second cake on top. Spread the remaining icing over the sides and top of the cake, creating a smooth and even layer. Sprinkle the chopped fudge over the icing for decoration.
- Cut the Salted Caramel Cheesecake into wedges and serve.
Our Tip: This cake can be made up to a day ahead and freezes well un-iced. It’s a perfect make-ahead dessert for special occasions or when you want to satisfy your salted caramel cravings. Enjoy!