Indulge in the comforting flavours of Mary’s Apple and Cinnamon Cake, a delightful treat that will warm your heart and fill your home with a tantalising aroma. With its tender crumb, luscious grated apples, and a touch of warming cinnamon, this cake is perfect for cozy gatherings or as an indulgent treat for yourself. Let’s dive into the recipe and experience the comforting goodness!
- 225g softened butter
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 100g mixed nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, Brazil), chopped
- 100g sultanas
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 400g cooking apples, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1 level tsp ground cinnamon
- Light muscovado sugar, for sprinkling
- Extra chopped walnuts, for sprinkling
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Grease and line the base of a 9-inch (23cm) deep round cake tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, measure the softened butter, light muscovado sugar, eggs, chopped mixed nuts, sultanas, self-raising flour, and baking powder. Beat well for about 2 minutes until the ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Spoon half of the cake mixture into the prepared tin, then spread the grated apples and ground cinnamon in an even layer on top. Spread the remaining cake mixture on top, leveling the surface. Sprinkle generously with light muscovado sugar and chopped walnuts.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 ¼ – 1 ½ hours or until the cake is well risen and golden brown. To check if it’s done, insert a skewer into the center of the cake—it should come out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn it out, peel off the parchment, and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Once completely cooled, dust the cake with icing sugar for a beautiful finishing touch.
- If you prefer, you can use walnuts exclusively instead of mixed nuts for a more traditional flavor.
- Ensure that the grated apples are evenly distributed on top of the first layer of cake mixture for a delightful burst of apple flavor throughout.
- For an extra touch of warmth and flavor, you can add a pinch of nutmeg or allspice to the ground cinnamon.
- Serve this cake with a dollop of lightly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a truly indulgent treat.
- If you’re storing the cake for later, ensure it is completely cooled before wrapping it in parchment or foil. It will keep well for a few days.
Enjoy the comforting and delightful flavours of Mary Berry’s Apple and Cinnamon Cake. Whether shared with loved ones or savoured during quiet moments, this cake is sure to bring warmth and joy to your baking endeavours. Don’t forget to give us a thumbs-up if you’ve enjoyed this recipe and would like to explore more delightful bakes!