Indulge in the zesty and fruity flavors of our Mary Berry inspired Marmalade Cake. This delightful cake combines the tangy sweetness of orange marmalade with the richness of butter and the moist texture of sultanas, currants, and glace cherries. Baked to perfection, this cake is a true crowd-pleaser and a perfect treat for any time of the day. So, let’s gather our ingredients and get ready to bake this scrumptious Marmalade Cake!
- 175 grams softened butter
- 175 grams caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 level tablespoons orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1.5 level teaspoons baking powder (optional)
- 250 grams self-raising flour
- 175 grams sultanas
- 175 grams currants
- 50 grams red glace cherries, quartered
- Nibbed sugar or crushed sugar cubes (reserved for decoration)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan) or Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a baking tray, such as a Lamington tin.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy. This can be done in a food processor or using an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs, orange marmalade, and milk to the creamed mixture. Mix until smooth and well combined.
- Sift in the self-raising flour and baking powder (if using). Mix until the batter is fully mixed and smooth.
- Add the sultanas, currants, and quartered glace cherries to the batter. Mix on a low speed or use a spatula to gently fold the fruits into the batter until evenly distributed.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking tray, spreading it evenly.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with nibbed sugar or crushed sugar cubes, to taste. This will add a delightful crunchy texture and sweetness to the cake.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until the cake is well risen, golden brown, and firm to the touch.
- Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Then, transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, cut the Marmalade Cake into slices and serve.
Enjoy the wonderful combination of flavors and textures in this Mary Berry inspired Marmalade Cake. It’s perfect for afternoon tea, dessert, or any special occasion. Your taste buds will thank you for this delightful treat!