Hello, my dear readers! Today, I have a delightful treat to share with you: Sticky Toffee Pudding. Now, I must admit, I’m not usually one for indulging in puddings, but there’s something truly irresistible about this classic dessert. The rich, moist sponge infused with dates and warm spices, complemented by a luscious toffee sauce, is simply divine. This recipe, inspired by the talented Rachel Allen, is a must-try for any dessert lover. So, let’s gather our ingredients and embark on a journey of sweet indulgence!
Now, let’s get down to the recipe for this mouthwatering Sticky Toffee Pudding.
- 225g dates (stoned weight), chopped
- 250ml black tea, not too strong
- 100g butter, softened
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g self-raising flour
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Whipped cream to serve
- 110g butter
- 250g soft light brown sugar
- 275g golden syrup
- 225ml double cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Firstly, preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. I used a cake tin and later transferred the pudding to my round Le Creuset dish, allowing me to pour some sauce over it. Grease and flour the sides of the tin and line the base with greaseproof paper. Keep in mind that you can make this in advance and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for five or six days, or in the freezer for up to three months. Just remember to cover it with tin foil and warm it up in a low oven when ready to serve (defrost it first if frozen).
Let’s dive into the steps:
- Place the chopped dates and tea in a saucepan and bring them to a boil. Cook for a few minutes until the dates have softened, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat the softened butter until it becomes soft and creamy. Add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture turns pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla extract and mixed spice.
- Fold in the date mixture, including the tea. If you’re using a mixer, it might be easier to transfer the batter to a larger mixing bowl at this point. Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda, and fold gently until everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for approximately 45 minutes. The top should be just firm to the touch, and a skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean.
- Allow the pudding to rest in the tin for about 5 minutes before removing it and transferring it to a serving plate or dish. While the cake is baking, prepare the toffee sauce as follows:
For the toffee sauce:
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and cook over high heat for about 5 minutes. Stir regularly until the sauce has thickened. Serve it warm.
- Preparing in advance: One of the beauties of this Sticky Toffee Pudding is its make-ahead potential. You can easily whip up the cake part, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for several days, or even freeze it for up to three months. Just remember to warm it gently in a low oven, covered with foil, before serving. This makes it a fantastic choice for entertaining or whenever you’re craving a quick yet impressive dessert.
- The power of dates: Dates are the star of this show, providing a natural sweetness and moistness to the sponge. To achieve the perfect texture, make sure to chop the dates finely and allow them to simmer in a cup of black tea until softened. The resulting mixture will infuse the cake with a delightful depth of flavor that will keep everyone coming back for more.
- The magic of toffee sauce: Now, let’s talk about that glorious toffee sauce that takes this dessert to heavenly heights. As you cook the butter, brown sugar, golden syrup, double cream, and a touch of vanilla extract together, a magical transformation occurs. The mixture thickens and develops a rich, velvety consistency that will have your taste buds dancing with joy. Remember to serve the sauce warm, either poured generously over the pudding or offered on the side for guests to drizzle over their slices.
And there you have it, my dear readers, a tantalizing Sticky Toffee Pudding that is sure to impress. The simplicity of this recipe, combined with its irresistible flavors, makes it a go-to dessert for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply treating yourself to a well-deserved sweet indulgence, this delightful pudding will not disappoint. So, gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and let the aroma of spiced dates and caramelized toffee fill your kitchen. I assure you, this Sticky Toffee Pudding will win over the hearts of your loved ones and leave them craving for more. Enjoy, my friends, and happy baking!