You’ll find stacks of recipes for Christmas Cake, from Mrs Beeton, to Nigella to Mary Berry. The recipes do actually vary quite a lot but all of them are quite fail-safe as long as you get the cooking time right and make sure your fresh ingredients such as eggs and baking powder are actually fresh.
For those who don’t like the traditional fruitcake at Christmas, we’ve published some alternatives in the Christmas Baking section. You’ll also find Debbie’s great gran’s christmas cake recipe is similar to Mrs Beeton’s and makes a great traditional Christmas cake.
Here is a deliciously rich, moist, fruit cake based on Angela Nilsen’s original Christmas cake. It is one which we think everyone will enjoy.
- 200g (7oz) Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 200g (7oz) Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 200g (7oz) Plain Flour
- 4 Free Range Eggs (beaten)
- 50g (2oz) Ground Almonds
- 100ml (3.4floz) Sherry (plus extra for feeding)
- 80g (3oz) Mixed Peel
- 200g (7oz) Glacé Cherries (quartered)
- 500g (1lb 1oz) Mixed Currants, Raisins and Sultanas
- 100g (3.5oz) Pecan Nuts (chopped)
- Finely Grated Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1½ tsp Mixed Spice
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
Preheat the oven to 160ºC (140ºC Fan Oven / 320 F / Gas Mark 3).
- Fully line an 8 inch (20cm) round, deep cake tin.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add in the flour and beaten eggs a quarter at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon after each addition.
- Stir in the ground almonds.
- Mix in the sherry (it will look curdled but don’t worry).
- Add in the mixed peel, glacé cherries, raisins, currants, pecan nuts, lemon zest, mixed spice, and vanilla extract, then combine.
- Stir in the baking powder.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin, smooth over and make a slight dip in the middle.
- This cake pan has a secure springform clasp, so it’s easy to remove your cakes without damage
- 1 mm thick carbon steel body ensures smooth heat transfer, while 2 robust non stick layers make cleaning simple
- Ideal for baking moist sponges, creamy cheesecakes, and rich fruitcakes
- 100% BPA, PTFE and PFOA free, dishwasher safe, and heat resistant to 220°C (428°F)
Bake for 30 minutes.
Without opening the oven door, lower the temperature to 150ºC (130ºC Fan Oven / 300 F / Gas Mark 2) and bake for a further 2 – 2½ hours.
Insert a clean skewer into the middle – it will come out clean if the cake is cooked.
Leave to cool in the tin, take out, peel off the lining paper and leave to cool completely.
Once cooled, double wrap in cling film and cover again with foil.
Feed with sherry weekly, until you’re ready to decorate.
If you would like to bake this recipe in a different sized or shaped tin, you can do this with our CakeOmeter.
Some goodies we think you will love
- ✿ Christmas miniature ornament are made of poly-resin and hand-painted with great detail. Creative Santa Claus and Xmas tree designed ornaments are...
- ✿ Add some flair to your Christmas Decor with these miniature pieces. Lovely and rich miniature ornament kits create a lively Christmas atmosphere...
- ✿ Miniature props for fairy garden and miniature garden. Although they are tiny, they can bring great happiness for adults and children
- ✿ This mini landscape ornament is perfect for Xmas desktop decoration，miniature garden, mini landscaping, dollhouse and plant decoration.More...
- Keep your baked cakes fresh and delicious for longer in this delightful steel cake tin
- The lid has a silicone seal which helps keep cakes fresh. You can even use it to store and feed Christmas cakes, ready for the big day
- Lightweight and durable design, with a classic Antique Cream powder-coated finish. As a final touch, it's printed with the word "CAKE"
- Clever 2-part design, with a flat base and tall domed lid. You can separate the base and use it as a cake serving platter
- New for Summer 2021! This Cake Decorating Set includes all you need to create beautiful cake decorations with a detailed e-book giving you recipes for...
- The Highest Quality Customer Satisfaction Guarantee: Your satisfaction and feedback is what drives us to provide the highest quality products. This is...
- We know you'll love our top-selling icing sets for cakes around birthdays & special occasions! If you have issues with any type of tool, contact us...
- All accessories can be washed and used over again. The plastic materials are all BPA free and the pastry bags are made from food-grade silicone...
- ✔Perfect Size for Christmas Gift Boxes: The Christmas Cupcake Boxes 7*4.7*2 inch, fits Cookies, Cakes, Macaron, muffin, truffle, pie or pastry, and...
- ✔ Sturdy Christmas Cake Boxes: The kraft paper has been specially thickened to enhance its stability. You will be pleasantly surprised to find that...
- ✔ Keep Cookies Fresh: Unlike plastic products, our Christmas cookie boxes for gift giving are made from high-quality kraft paper to keep your...
- ✔ Stylish Christmas Gift Boxes: Each Christmas Gift box has a rectangular clear window that adds a nice touch for an easy view when gift-giving....
- 【EXCELLENT KITCHEN MIXER】 : 1500W high performance pure copper motor, 6 optimized speeds with pulse function& a planetary stirring system, 7.5L...
- 【7.5L LARGE CAPACITY & 6+P SPEEDS】: 7.5L Food grade stainless steel bowl can meet all your kitchen needs. Electric cake mixer has a convenient...
- 【Safety & Anti-Slip Design】With the tilt head model, automatic power disconnection ensures the safety of you and your family，then you can insert...
- 【Easy baking with Multiple Attachments Set & Dishwasher Safe】: Betry food mixer baking comes with a whisk, dough hook, and mixing beater, offering...