Banana bread is a timeless classic, and when it’s inspired by the legendary Mary Berry, you know you’re in for a treat. This Banana Loaf is the epitome of comfort, warmth, and homemade goodness. Let’s dive into our Mary Berry-inspired recipe and create a loaf that’s as delightful as it is simple.
- 100g Softened Butter
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Ripe Bananas (mashed)
- 225g Self-Raising Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp. Milk
- Preheat and Prepare: Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C for a fan oven) or Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin and line the base and sides with baking parchment.
- Mix and Blend: In a mixing bowl, add the softened butter and caster sugar. Cream them together until the mixture is light and fluffy. This should take about 2 minutes of beating.
- Banana Mash: Mash the ripe bananas thoroughly and add them to the mixture. Continue to mix until they are well incorporated.
- Add Dry Ingredients: Sift in the self-raising flour and baking powder. Combine them with the mixture. For a light touch, fold in the flour rather than over-mixing.
- The Magic of Milk: To achieve the perfect consistency, add 2 tablespoons of milk to the batter. Mix until everything is well blended.
- Batter in the Tin: Spoon the delightful banana batter into the prepared loaf tin. Smooth the surface to make it as even as possible.
- Baking Time: Place the tin in the preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour. Keep an eye on it. The loaf is ready when it has risen beautifully and has a gorgeous golden brown hue. To be absolutely sure, insert a fine skewer into the center; if it comes out clean, your banana loaf is ready to shine.
- Cool and Enjoy: Let your banana loaf cool in the tin for a few minutes. Then, gently turn it out, peel off the parchment, and allow it to finish cooling on a wire rack.
This Banana Loaf, inspired by Mary Berry, is a testament to the magic of simplicity. With just a few basic ingredients and expert guidance, you’ll create a delightful treat that’s perfect for breakfast, a snack, or a cozy dessert. Be warned, though – this banana loaf has a tendency to disappear quickly, so be prepared to bake it again and again. Enjoy your slice of homemade goodness!