Legend has it that it was Janet Keiller who invented marmalade when her husband brought home a barrel-load of Seville oranges he’d manage to acquire cheaply. Before that pastes of quince and other fruits were popular: Mary, Queen of Scots, is reputed to have partaken of quince paste when on board ship to ease her seasickness.
How much truth there is in the minutiae of how Mrs. Keiller came to invent marmalade is open to argument, but it is true that the Keiller family built the first marmalade factory in 1797.
So, with such a connection to the country, we can’t leave Marmalade Cake out of our classic Scottish cakes page.
- 200ml (7fl oz) vegetable oil
- 4 rounded tablespoons marmalade
- 3 eggs
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 60ml (4 tablespoons) milk
- 350g (12oz) self-raising flour
- ½ level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Marmalade and flaked almonds to decorate
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C , gas mark 2. Grease and line an 8” tin.
- Mix ingredients in given order and pour into the tin.
- Bake for 1½ hours. Remove from oven, spread top with marmalade and sprinkle with flaked almonds. Return to oven for 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
- Store in an airtight container.
- ‘Blood Oranges’ from Sicily…need we say more?
- You have to taste it to believe it! Think, hot, crusty toast, pancakes, melted cheese croissants and muffins..superb! Bring to life those sauces and...
- Suitable for Vegan & Vegeterians
- Part of the Carved Angel Gold Range
- Made in The Lake District, UK
- Suitable for Vegans
- Made with Fresh Seville Oranges
- Small batch production
- Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil marmalade. ZEET marmalade is made from our award winning early harvest Picual olives. ZEET Marmalade can be spread on...
- Gourmet product - Gastronomic experience - Ideal to sweetener dessert and breakfasts - It does not contain allergens - Extra virgin Olive Oil Jam
- Ingredient: Organic Extra virgin olive oil, water, sugar and Xanthan gum
- Artisan marmalade produced in south of Spain in the province of Jaen. Great taste producer
- Sweet Navelina Orange Marmalade
- Mackays 340g
- Something different treat yourself
- Great gift for any occasion
- Made from the finest simplest ingredients
- Also known for years as double, clear orange jelly marmalade is made without peel with an attractive lime flavour
- Smear it on a piece of toast for the perfect breakfast
- It is a zingy tasting spread that makes a great condiment
- The juiciest Spanish oranges with ideal zest to create the freshest flavour with a tantalising texture
- A Special Edition product to celebrate the Queen's 70th Jubilee, hand finished with a sparkling metallic label and union jack foiled mop top
- Tended by hand
- Made in small batches
- Made with Seville oranges
- Afternoon Tea
- Afternoon Tea