Indulge in the delightful savoury goodness of Mary’s Cheesey Cheese Scones. These delectable treats are perfect for enjoying as a snack, a light meal, or as a delightful addition to any afternoon tea spread. Packed with the rich flavour of cheddar cheese and a hint of chilli powder, these scones are bound to impress with their fluffy texture and irresistible taste. Join us as we guide you through the simple steps of this mouthwatering recipe.
- 8 oz self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 oz butter
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated (plus 50g for sprinkling on top)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (or substitute with mustard powder or cayenne pepper)
- 1 egg
- 150 ml milk (plus extra for brushing)
- 1 tsp baking powder (optional, if not using, rely on self-raising flour)
- Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius and line baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the self-raising flour, salt, and chili powder (or substitute). Add the butter and rub it into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the grated cheddar cheese (100g) into the mixture.
- In a measuring jug, break the egg and then add enough milk to reach a total volume of 150ml. Mix well.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a knife until a stiff dough forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of 1-2 inches.
- Use a heart-shaped cutter (or any desired shape) to cut out the scones from the dough and transfer them onto the prepared baking trays.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk to achieve a golden crust.
- Bake the scones in the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes or until they turn a nice golden brown.
- Once baked, remove the scones from the oven and allow them to cool slightly. Serve them warm, cut in half, and enjoy them with a generous spread of butter and your favorite accompaniments such as chili jam or any other condiment of your choice.
- For a variation, you can add chopped herbs such as chives or rosemary to the dough for an extra burst of flavor.
- Experiment with different types of cheese, such as Red Leicester or Gruyere, to create unique flavor profiles.
- Serve the cheese scones as a side dish with soups or salads, or enjoy them as a standalone snack.
- If you prefer a milder flavor, reduce the amount of chili powder or substitute it with a different spice that suits your taste.
- These cheese scones are best enjoyed on the day they are baked for optimal freshness and taste.
Get ready to savour the irresistible combination of savoury cheddar cheese and fluffy scone perfection with Mary’s Cheese Scones. Whether enjoyed warm or cold, they are sure to be a hit with their delicious flavour and comforting texture.