Indulge in the enchanting world of pavlovas with the Nigella Lawson‘ Inspired Lemon Pavlova. Drawing from Nigella’s culinary brilliance, this lemon pavlova recipe offers a delightful balance of sweetness and acidity, perfectly crowned with the delightful crunch of flaked almonds. Embark on a journey of flavours and textures that’s sure to tantalise your taste buds.
About the Pavlova:
Immerse yourself in the world of pavlovas as envisioned by Nigella Lawson. With a focus on the essential element of acidity, this lemon pavlova is a testament to Nigella’s passion for flavour balance. The meringue base offers a harmonious blend of satiny peaks and tender marshmallow, complemented by a symphony of lemon curd and whipped cream, all crowned with the crunch of toasted flaked almonds.
- 6 large egg whites
- 375 grams caster sugar
- 2½ teaspoons cornflour
- 2 unwaxed lemons
- 50 grams flaked almonds
- 300 millilitres double cream
- 325 grams jar lemon curd
Step 1: Creating the Meringue Base:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/gas mark 4/350°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites until they form satiny peaks. Gradually beat in the caster sugar until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Sprinkle cornflour over the meringue. Grate the zest of 1 lemon and add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Gently fold until well mixed.
- Mound the meringue onto the lined baking tray, shaping it into a fat circle about 23cm/10inches in diameter. Smooth the sides and top.
Step 2: Baking and Assembling:
- Place the meringue in the oven and immediately lower the temperature to 150°C/130°C Fan/gas mark 2/300°F. Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool. Avoid exposing it to cold environments, as this may cause cracking. If needed, leave the pavlova in the oven with the door open to prevent rapid cooling.
- When ready to serve, turn the pavlova onto a plate or board with the underside up, allowing the marshmallow belly to meld with the topping.
- Toast the flaked almonds by frying them in a dry pan until lightly coloured. Set them aside to cool.
- Whip the cream until thick and airy. Loosen the lemon curd slightly by beating it and adjust the sweetness with lemon zest and juice if necessary.
- Spread the lemon curd over the meringue base, followed by the whipped cream. Sprinkle with lemon zest and flaked almonds.
Delight in the symphony of flavours and textures with the Nigella Lawson Inspired Lemon Pavlova. This captivating dessert embodies Nigella’s culinary wisdom, delivering a masterpiece that marries sweetness with acidity, softness with crunch, and simplicity with elegance. Embrace the essence of pavlova-making with this exceptional recipe that’s sure to dazzle your senses.