Indulge in the quintessential British dessert with our fabulous Mary Berry inspired Rhubarb Crumble recipe. This classic dessert combines tangy rhubarb with a buttery crumble topping, resulting in a comforting and irresistible treat. Whether you enjoy it with a dollop of creamy custard or a scoop of velvety cream, this dessert is sure to satisfy your sweet cravings. Let’s dive into the recipe and create a delightful rhubarb crumble that will leave you wanting more.
- 165g demerara sugar
- 245g self-raising flour
- 60g margarine
- 60g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 700g fresh rhubarb
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- Cream or custard, for serving
Rhubarb Crumble Recipe Instructions:
- Begin by sifting the self-raising flour into a large bowl. Add the demerara sugar and mix well to combine the two ingredients.
- Cut the margarine and unsalted butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl. Also, add the vanilla extract.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter and margarine into the flour mixture until it resembles fine crumbs. This process ensures a crumbly and textured topping for your crumble.
- Place the crumble mixture in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the rhubarb.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (or gas mark 6).
- Wash the rhubarb stalks and trim the ends. Cut the rhubarb into small chunks and place them in an ovenproof baking dish, roughly 12 x 8 inches in size.
- Sprinkle the caster sugar over the rhubarb, ensuring it is evenly distributed.
- Retrieve the chilled crumble mixture from the refrigerator and evenly spread it over the rhubarb, covering it completely.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until the crumble topping turns golden-brown and the rhubarb becomes tender and bubbling.
- Remove the rhubarb crumble from the oven and allow it to cool slightly. Serve it warm, accompanied by a generous serving of cream or custard. The creamy accompaniment perfectly balances the tartness of the rhubarb and adds an extra layer of indulgence to the dessert.
There’s nothing quite like a comforting rhubarb crumble to satisfy your sweet tooth. With Mary Berry’s inspiration, this recipe brings together the perfect combination of tart rhubarb and a buttery crumble topping. The golden-brown, crisp topping pairs beautifully with the soft, tangy rhubarb, creating a dessert that will have everyone asking for seconds. So, gather your ingredients, prepare this fabulous Mary Berry inspired rhubarb crumble, and savour every spoonful of this delightful British classic. Enjoy!
Also don’t forget to try our Our Fabulous Mary Berry inspired Rhubarb Cake