Two of our all time favourites: the traditional lemon meringue pie and the delicate cupcake. Mix them together and what do you get?… The Lemon Meringue Cupcake – genius!
These lovely little cupcakes are ideal as a tea time treat, or if you’re feeling a little more adventurous in the kitchen try adding a drizzle of Limoncello (Italian liqueur) over the top.
We have broken this recipe down into three simple steps: the lemon cupcake, lemon curd, and the meringue itself. Don’t worry if time is of an essence as you can always buy ready made lemon curd and meringues…. ssshhh, we won’t tell, promise!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan assisted oven 160°C / Gas Mark 4).
- Place 12 good quality cupcake cases into a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Whisk the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add in the eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition. Sieve in the flour. Add the milk and the zest of 1 small fresh lemon. Mix again until thoroughly combined – the mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases.
- Place in the oven on the middle shelf for 18-22 minutes or until risen and springy to touch. You can test that they are cooked by inserting a clean cocktail stick into the centre of each cake. If the cocktail stick comes out clean, they are cooked.
- Once cooked, leave to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
For the Topping
For Home Made Lemon Curd (or you can cheat and buy ready made) you will need:
- 4 lemons (unwaxed)
- 200g (8oz or 1 cup) caster sugar
- 110g (4oz or ½ cup) unsalted butter (cut into cubes)
- 3 free range eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- Place the lemon juice and zest into a small heatproof bowl, add in the sugar and butter cubes.
- On the hob boil a pan of water and leave to simmer. The pan should be large enough for the heatproof bowl to fit onto comfortably.
- Place the heatproof bowl over the pan of now simmering water, making sure no water enters your mixture. Stir until the butter has melted.
- In a clean bowl lightly mix together the eggs and extra egg yolk until combined.
- Carefully add the egg mixture into the heatproof bowl and stir for a good 10-12 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir occasionally until it cools.
- Once cooled, your fresh lemon curd can be stored in jars in the fridge, and it will keep for a couple of weeks.
And for the Meringue
Home made meringue tastes fantastic. If you’re short for time or want to cheat then you can buy ready made.
- 2 large egg whites (free range)
- 340g (12oz or 1½ cups) caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 3 tbsp (45ml or 1½ fl oz) boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 110°C (fan assisted oven 90°C / Gas Mark 1/4).
- Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Place the egg whites, caster sugar and vanilla extract into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the boiling water and whisk immediately until the mixture becomes thick, glossy and stands in peaks.
- Spoon the meringues onto your baking tray into small dollops.
- Bake for 90 minutes or until the meringues are crisp and dry. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
Once your beautifully moist Lemon Cupcakes have cooled, spoon on a healthy dollop of zesty lemon curd and crumble over the meringues. Finish with a lemon peel curl. Irresistible!